View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010   #31
Christa
Mad Pulling Priest

There's more to come!
WoW Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMan View Post
Continued a little on Eriná and got as far as level 82. Cannot say I enjoy that much and from the crowded level zones on the PvE beta server I suspect it will very troublesome to do them on an inbalanced PvP server at launch. Most quests are the same kill X blabla/collect Y blable, but sometimes they spice it up with something different like climbing trees to rescue baby bears.
I've almost completed Mount Hyjal on Christa, and yeah, i agree, most quests are "kill x mobs, collect y items". I do, however, like the phased enviroment thing, like we saw in icecrown. Makes it feel all your efforts are actually useful.
I also expect questing on a PVP server will be... painful. But the phasing might help a bit, right? You can't see people that are in a different phase, i think?
Lack of mobs is a problem here and there. I ran into 1 quest where there were just 5-10 ppl all waiting for spawns, and i only ever really saw 2-3 mobs (tagged ofc) at the times i was waiting for them. Went back this morning early, and there was noone around, so that fixed the problem

The "waterworld" quest area is a lot more interesting. Still many "kill 10 mobs" quests, but also some alternatives. I got to ride me a SHARK! wootwoot

Quote:
Will see if I dare to venture into some dungeons and try out healing in the new (and in my opinion bad) mana starved environment.
I've done a few instances, both healing and dps on Christa and tanking on Hadnor (yeah, he's also 82, i'm an altoholic!). So far, i've only seen the Tides thing (waterworld) and the blackrock mountain one. Let me share my experiences.

I've started on Christa as shadow. Nothing much changed here. AOE seems dead, mind sear does shit damage, but multidotting solves that problem. Getting aggro isn't hard, but the mobs dont hit too hard as well, and with a ~40k healthpool and VE healing, i can take a bit of beating.

On the disc spec, firstly i was shocked by the mana cost of flashheal (and suprised that it actually did a lot of healing). This was at lvl 80/81 still, i changed to greater heals and only used flash when absolutely needed. Now i'm 82, both flash and greater cost about 2k mana anyway, so flash becomes more interesting again. No, better say: greater becomes less interesting. It does a bit more healing, but takes longer as well. "Heal" is very cheap but does like.... 4-5k healing or so? So, pretty crap to heal anyone up with that. It also takes ages to cast.
Anyway, enough about spells. I found healing very hard or relatively easy, depending on the group's experience with the instance. There's a LOT of potential damage going around, or should i say AVOIDABLE damage? In non-heroic instances, well geared tanks can get 1-2 shotted again, but only if they don't avoid the damage. Same counts for dps, AKA "dont stand in the fire". You'll see dps get oneshotted, it's not the healers fault. People need to seriously L2P (again or still).

Did some tanking of these 2 instances as well. And let me illustrate that last point: first boss in waterworld tides whatsitcalled: boss does a shockwave thing on the tank. It's a 3sec cast or so, interruptable, so no problem IF you know you should interrupt it. If you don't, it hits for ~40k, while i have about 50k HP at that point. One time though, i got knocked up into the air and then she did her cast. Couldn't interrupt it, noone else did either, and i was too late with shield wall/cast stand --> dead.
2nd boss in the same instance: very easy to get a lot of damage as tank or dps/healer when you're standing in something you shouldnt be. Fights like these either are VERY painful, or VERY easy. Heck, 2 times i pretty much duo'd this boss with a shadowpriest gone healing (healer dead) or no healer at all at around 40% of boss' health.
Some trash in that instance also does a lot of damage, which is easily avoidable. So, as long as people know what to do, healing is fine, if they don't, it's a mess.
Mana starvation isn't really a huge issue, especially when using your cooldowns well (fiend, archangel).

Tanking currently causes a big problem for me in the form of aggro. Maybe it's my low dps weapon (ilvl 232), but lots of dps can pull aggro, mostly single target fights. I'm using taunt a lot

Anyway, long story, hopes it helps

Last edited by Christa; 11-10-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Christa is offline   Reply With Quote