Go Back   The Garrison Forums > Public Forums > The Garrison Visitor's Center

The Garrison Visitor's Center Got something to share with us or just want to say hi to The Garrison? This is the place.

Old 23-12-2011   #1
Spooks
No playing, only posting.
WoW Characters

Default Guild Wars 2

So I've been hearing all kinds of good things about GW2. Things about it being a game-changing mmo in terms of getting rid of the holy trinity of class roles, class abilities changing when you use different weapons, and a whole ton of other stuff. Basically, it's being hyped as the first of a whole new breed of mmos... something that is not just a wow clone, which most mmos post-wow have been up to now.

If you are interested, TotalBiscuit has a cool series of videos about the game out. Everything just looks amazing, and the best part is... there's no subscription, LOL.

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Multiplayer shenanigans with a side order of smut!

Last edited by Spooks; 23-12-2011 at 02:13 AM.
Spooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011   #2
Spooks
WoW Characters

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Old 23-12-2011   #3
Stufur

Top Poster!

I agree with every reason in his top 10 list. Especially number 1. This looks faaaantastic.
Stufur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011   #4
Blinky
Supreme Post-a-holic
WoW Characters

Send a message via Skype™ to Blinky

This is the only MMO I am excited for next year. And probably the only one I will bother to buy and try.
Old 24-12-2011   #5
Radice

Competent

Yeah looks realy nice its a possible Game to try........
And over all its free to play. Anyone know a possible release Date?
Old 25-12-2011   #6
Spooks
WoW Characters

The release date is 'when it's done' atm. It's in closed beta right now, with open beta to follow, but ArenaNet the developer has said they are not releasing the game until they are happy with it and feel they have an amazing polished game.

Old 27-12-2011   #7
jaelius

Forum Addict

I like the block and evade system who cares about them stats!
jaelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012   #8
Spooks
WoW Characters

Some of our adventures from last weekend's beta event.

I'm playing the Theif profession in this video. Really enjoying the combat mechanics.

+ YouTube Video

Old 19-06-2012   #9
neenee

Supreme Post-a-holic

Cool - thanks for sharing I've been looking into this as well, mainly with the yogscast videos
Old 21-06-2012   #10
jaelius

Forum Addict

Question

What do you like about the combat mechanics? And how is the game engine running (compared to wow)? Just curious
jaelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012   #11
Spooks
WoW Characters

GW2 release date announcement & some gameplay footage of me running around on my Thief with two pistols being a badass.

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

Old 04-07-2012   #12
Spooks
WoW Characters

Our WvWvW adventure!

+ YouTube Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelius View Post
What do you like about the combat mechanics? And how is the game engine running (compared to wow)? Just curious
The combat works awesomely. It's very involved and active, the fact that everyone has an adrenaline bar that gives them a resource to spend on actively dodging attacks is amazing. If you feel like you are about to be pummelled, you can simply double tap a direction key and leap out of the way any direction you like, as long as you have enough adrenaline available. The weapon swapping mechanics are amazing, with each different class of weapons and or weapon combinations providing your class with different weapon specific abilities; the thing I love about that is that you never have 20+ abilities and buttons to manage, just the ten skills that come with whatever setup you are using, until you hit the tilde key and swap out your pistols for a shortbow and get access to a bunch of ranged/aoe abilities. All of the classes feel really distinctive. The story progressions is nicely done with special cut-scenes and voice acting. One of my favourite things is the fact that you never have to go to a hub and collect a bunch of quests. You simply go out into the world and participate in whatever events you stumble into, and you get rewarded as soon as the events are completed, no handing in etc.

Perhaps my favourite thing about GW2 though is the fact that there is no endgame grind waiting for you at max level. ArenaNet has designed the game in such a way that endgame awesomeness starts the moment you step into their world. Within the first few events you complete you can be involved in a large battle against a giant mob involving however many players happen to be around at the time...maybe ten maybe fifty or more! The levelling process is not just this boring grind you have to go through to get to the real game at max level, the real game starts at level 1. Then, when you are max level and go back to low level zones to help people, it isn't trivial, because you get levelled down to the level of that area, so that you still have fun and don't just obliterate mobs in one go.

The fact that there's no endgame, to me, just makes it seem that much more of a free fun experience. You won't feel like you have to grind materials or join a raid group to progress further. There will be difficult challenges available that reward players with gear, but that gear won't be significantly higher powered. It will just look prettier and simply serve as a vanity thing. So there are goals to reach for, it's just that they won't be making you into some significantly player everyone else.

I don't think of GW2 as an MMO any more. It's just a really fun multiplayer game in an amazing online world, without a subscription fee. A place where you can log in, go where you want, and just have fun! When it stops being fun, you don't need to keep logging in to grind for gold/mats, you can just stop until more content comes along via expansions and patches.

Last edited by Spooks; 04-07-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-07-2012   #13
Spooks
WoW Characters

Here we are having fun in the end of beta event:

+ YouTube Video

Old 08-07-2012   #14
Spooks
WoW Characters

A short video I made about the Thief skills available when using dual pistols and shortbow:

+ YouTube Video

Old 12-07-2012   #15
Spooks
WoW Characters

A lot of people are somewhat confused about the fact that there is no end-game gear grind in GW2. This chap, Bogotter, is pretty good at explaining all things GW2.

+ YouTube Video

Old 13-07-2012   #16
Blinky
Supreme Post-a-holic
WoW Characters

I have two keys for the next Beta Weekend Event that starts on July 20th. The last beta event and the first with all the races unlocked.

http://d.pr/i/voTf
http://d.pr/i/ATAL

Go here to register them: https://register.guildwars2.com/
Old 13-07-2012   #17
hlx

Supreme Post-a-holic
WoW Characters

Blinks! you are the best. I really wanted to see the beta before I commit to buying the game when it comes out and with the code registered I can do just that.

big thanks!
Old 13-07-2012   #18
Blinky
Supreme Post-a-holic
WoW Characters

You're welcome I would love to see more TG members play Gw2 as well. Since I won't be getting MoP and I want to play with you people again.
Old 17-07-2012   #19
Spooks
WoW Characters

No healer?!

We sat down to chat about the lack of a holy trinity in Guild Wars 2, in response to a community member question.

+ YouTube Video

Old 18-07-2012   #20
Spooks
WoW Characters

There are no buffs or debuffs in GW2. Instead there are boons and conditions!

+ YouTube Video